8.12.2011

What 3 things do you grab when your house is on fire?

Oddly enough, I know the answer to the question in the title of this post...

  1. My kids
  2. Nothing
  3. Nothing
Guess what I've learned?  All that matters is people.  Doesn't matter if we burn our house down, lose our job, lose our identity, lose our home, lose an arm (did you see Soul Surfer? loved it.), etc.  With family/friends/church family/neighbors/loved ones/Heavenly Father, you can get through anything - at least that's what I believe.

I tried to get a pic of the boys and their new Goodwill spoils
and this was the best one!  Rhet didn't want to cooperate!

As a point of explanation, about 7 weeks ago I was busying myself at home with the kids, getting a TON of work done - I mean, my house was SPOTLESS (ha ha), when my laundry room caught fire.  We still don't know for sure the cause, but we're pretty sure that some flammable substance in the laundry room caught fire when the pilot light to the gas dryer or water heater turned on.  Then the fire got into the attic and pretty much trashed most all of our belongings.  Long story short, we now live in Pinal County close to Jayson's full time job, and are itching to get back to our downtown Mesa home.  We don't really care about losing things, we're just seriously so grateful that we're all safe and healthy... BUT it sure would be nice if we could feel at home again, I tell you what!

So anyway, we're extremely grateful for how blessed we are.  To feel the love of everyone around us (literally practically everyone I know who hears has tried to help me in one way or another) is completely overwhelming.  I tear up every time I think about it.  

The next 6 months or so will likely be a little challenging but you know what?  We have too much to be grateful for to feel sorry for ourselves!  Plus, what else did we have to do? :)  

Just before the fire, I was reading about the pride cycle in Jack's little Book of Mormon storybook (that makes me sound like a good mom but I swear I'm not... that was just one fleeting moment of clarity I had as a mom).  Later I talked to Jayson a little about why I think we had kind of a crazy life that kept us so busy.  I decided that if we weren't constantly working and trying to battle our way through so much silly stuff that we wouldn't learn how to work hard, and would consequently wind up a little lazy and probably a lot entitled.  In other words, I think it's a lot easier to be prideful.  Don't get me wrong, I have my days (most, in fact) when I am a little lazy, entitled, and prideful.  But that's why I need a little kick in the pants to bring me back down to earth to wake me up and help me remember that I've been given much.

Anyway, so I clearly needed a little kick in the pants, and here we are.  I'd like to think this will make me a better person, but so far I'm just mostly a little cranky!  But I'm working on it.  Life is beautiful, and I have been given so much.  And because I have been given much, I too must give.  So I desperately need a service project to be working on to keep from being selfish.  DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA OF A SERVICE PROJECT THAT I CAN BE WORKING ON FROM TIME TO TIME, LATE AT NIGHT, ETC? I need to give, as I have been receiving so much lately.  I'm going to work on my personal goals of being a happy mom and wife, smiling at everyone I meet while out and about, and the like, but I'd love it if I could work on a project that will have a start and a finish. Does that make sense?

Hopefully someone has a good idea for me.  This hymn is what I'd like my new motto to sound like:


Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
(And here's Carrie's wake up call...)
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.
There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”
But go and do something today.
’Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love’s labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.

3 comments:

Abbey said...

Have you checked out this website?
http://vineyard.lds.org/

There are little activities you can do for service that just take a few minutes.

Marquita said...

You are always doing something for others and yet you still ask if anybody knows of a service project for you! You're my hero!!!!

Maddie Peterson said...

Hands on Greater Phoenix is a really awesome program that gives you a calender of various projects in your area that cater to your availability.
(http://handsonphoenix.org) Some of the things are as simple as going to women's shelters and reading to kids. Some of the projects you can even involve your kids. Also my husband is a volunteer coordinator at St. Vincent de Paul in Phoenix if you want more information. I am so inspired by your family. Good Luck!!